Acacia Catechu Extract
Scientific name of it is Senegalia Catechu.
Acacia Catechu Extract is a fine brown powder derived from heartwood (wood with bark) of Acacia catechu, a member of Leguminoseae family
Acacia Catechu is commonly known as Khair, Cutch Tree, black catechu, black cutch, cashoo, catechu, wadalee gum, Khadira.
- Senegalia catechu is found in Asia, China, India and the Indian Ocean area.
- Acacia catechu is widely distributed throughout the greater part of India except the most
humid, cold and the driest regions.
- Found chiefly in Punjab, Garhwal and Kumaon, Bihar and Orissa. In
the sub-Himalayan tract and the outer Himalayas, it ascends upto 900-1200 m
elevation from Jammu to Assam.
- This tree is deciduous and has short hooked spines that reach up to the height of 9 to 12 meters.
- The leaves of this tress are bipinnately compounds with almost 50 pairs of leaflets which look like feathers
- The bark of the tree is grayish brown in color that exfoliates into long and narrow strips.
- The flowers of the plant are pale yellow in color and have cylindrical spikes.The flattened and glabrous fruit of the plant have oblong pods.
- The extract of the wood is cooled in moulds and the dried mass is broken into shinny jagged pieces or crushed into powder form for various uses.
- Resultant jagged pieces or powder is redish brown or pinkish brown in color & has characteristic odor and taste.
Heartwood and Bark of tree are used to form extract powder.
- It is soluble in hot water, which takes up its tannic and catechuic acids, but a reddish matter is deposited as the solution cools.The tannic acid of catechu is easily soluble in water and alcohol, but very slightly so in ether. Alcohol or ether dissolves its catechuic acid.
- Successive treatment of catechu with ether and absolute alcohol abstracts the two principal constituents, namely, from 13 to 33 per cent of crude catechin, also called catechuic acid, and from 22 to 50 per cent of a peculiar tannic acid, called catechu-tannic acid.
- It is stable at room temperature in closed container.
- It is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and acids
- The rates of litter decomposition is highest in Acacia Catechu (7 months for 99% decomposition).
- Acacia Catechu pieces or powder extract is redish brown or pinkish brown in color.
- It contains 20 – 40 % tannin and 30 – 60 % catechin
- It has maximum Ash content 5.48% and PH value 5.26
- It has loss on drying 3.02 %
- Anti fungal activity : According to studies, the plant extract reacts on the growth of various fungal growths like Piricularia Oryzae as well as colletotrichum falcatum.
- Birth control: The Acacia catechu plant is used as a natural birth control agent which is chemical free. It is beneficial when taken under proper guidance.
- Swelling in liver : Liver sluggishness and swelling are some of the liver ailments that can be relieved by using the extract of Acacia catechu.
- Blood clotting : This therapeutic plant helps in clotting blood in case of excessive bleeding.
- Gingivitis : Acacia catechu extract is used for the purpose of gargling to relieve the problem of gingivitis
- It is also used for the management of life threatening diseases like Leukaemia
- Acacia Catechu is effective on Asthma, Bronchitis and cough
- Relieves dysentery, diarrhea and the problem of stomatitis
- This plant is also known to relieve sores and the problem of skin afflictions
- The bark of the plant is used as an antipyretic as well as anti inflammatory substance.
- The bark relieves psoriasis, anemia, ulcers, gum issues.
- Relieves the problem of leprosy
- Acacia Catechu can treat Swelling in spleen, Skin disorders, Constipation, Pain in the chest
- Soft stems of Khadira plant are great for massaging the gums and gentle scrubbing of the teeth on a regular basis. It helps to balance the kapha induced diseases of the oral cavity, gums and teeth.
- As a general therapeutic effect Acacia catechu helps fight all kinds of skin irritations and itching. It also helps in fighting obesity which is also a result of imbalanced kapha in the body.
- Be it Diabetes, Cough, Cold, leucoderma or several other inflammatory conditions in the body, khadira is one of the best herbal choices.
- “Ama” or the body toxins, which accumulate in the body over a period of time as a result of our faulty lifestyle and dietary habits is considered as the root cause of many diseases in Ayurveda.
- Khadira preparations like “Khadirarishtha” is very helpful in detoxifying the body off the accumulated toxins.
- Having astringent properties, khadira helps to manage the pitta disorders in the body. Several Liver problems and blood disorders can be curbed easily with regulated use of Khadira along with other Liver protective and hematinic herbs. It is also good for anemic patients.
- For external as well as internal use Acacia catechu is the best herb for the management of internal as well as external health problems.