Scientific name of it is Boswellia Serrata.
Boswellia is a plant genus of the family Burseraceae & belongs to Species B.serrata.
Boswellia Serrata is also named as Guggal, Salai Guggal, Sallaki.
- It is a moderate to large sized branching tree that grows in dry mountainous regions of India, Northern Africa and the Middle East.
- In India, the main commercial sources of Boswellia serrata are Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh.
- It is a medium sized deciduous tree with light spreading crown, somewhat drooping branches and ash coloured papery bark.
- The leaves are like neem plant and have small white flowers
- While Powder Extract made from gum yield from papery bark is light yellow in color.
Thick, papery bark of Boswellia yields a gum containing natural sugars, essential oils, and several unique triterpe ne acids.
- Insoluble in cold water, hot water. Completely soluble in alcohol.
- It is stable at room temperature in closed container.
- Incompatible with copper and iron & Reactive in metals.
- It decomposes in carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide among other products.
- The oleo gum-resins contain 30-60% resin, 5-10% essential oils, which are soluble in the organic solvents, and the rest is made up of polysaccharides.
- The gum resin of Boswellia serrata contains three triterpenic acids known as α, β,γ Boswellic acids, ursan type compound with pentacyclic triterpens
- The terpenoid portion contains the boswellic acids that have been shown to be the active constituents in boswellia. Today, extracts are typically standardized to contain 37.5–65% boswellic acids.
- Effective on Arthritis: For people suffering from arthritis and other inflammatory issues, daily use of Boswellia can improve the quality of life and soothe the majority of associated pain.
- Healing Wounds: It is useful to stimulate circulation to the wound and speed healing, while also protecting the wound from infection.
- Optimize the immune system: One of the recent discoveries related to this herb is the effect it can have on lymphocytes and T-cells within the body which are crucial immune system components. it can optimize the immune system to more effectively respond to foreign substances and infectious pathogens
- Effective on Cancer: A great deal of attention has been given to Boswellia serrata’s impact on cancer in the body.It prohibits the proliferation and spread of cancerous cells
- Resists Autoimmune Disease : Some research has shown that Boswellia is able to strengthen the immune system and make it more resistant to autoimmune diseases.
- Improves Skin Health : The herb is used for the treatment of skin inflammation and irritation and is known to improve the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and blemishes, while also boosting the elasticity of the skin.
- Reduces Stress : When it is burned as an aromatic compound, can help to reduce anxiety and lower levels of chronic stress hormones in the body.
- Strengthen Muscles : This can allow for more intense workouts and increased energy, which will result in better muscle tissue metabolism and a notable boost in endurance while exercising.
- Improves Digestion : Boswellia serrata is connected to reducing inflammation in the gut, which is the cause of many digestive problems, from Irritable Bowel Syndrome to constipation and stomach upset.
- Maintain Harmone Balance : By maitaining harmone balance in human body it can improves mood and stress levels
- Analgesic Abilities : The pain-killing abilities of Boswellia serrata are closely tied to its legendary anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is an ayurvedic herb that has been traditionally used in India in folk medicine as a remedy for several inflammatory diseases, such as arthritis and bursitis.
- Largely used as incense because of its very unique fragrance.
- Boswellia has been shown to be as effective and, in many cases, better than drugs like Phenylbutazone and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Boswellia Serrata Gum Resin is the only non-coniferous source of turpentine and resin in India.
- Widely used in ayurvedic formulations for treating Asthma and Arthritis.
- The oil obtained from the resin is used for skin disorders, anti-fungal activity.
- The extract of gum resin has been demonstrated to possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory activity. It also found to exhibit sedative and analgesic effects.