Senna Leaf and Senna Pod Extract
Scientific name of it is Cassia Angustifolia .
It is a plant genus Senna belongs to Fabaceae family.
Common names of Senna are Alexandrian Senna, Tinnevelly Senna, India/Indian Senna, Khartoum Senna, Shower Tree, Monkey Pod Tree, Ringworm Cassia, Purging Cassia, Candle Tree.
- Senna is mostly cultivated in well ploughed, leveled , rich clayed semi irrigated land.
- Pantropic genus comprising of 500 species of which 20 are found in native flora of India.
- It is indengeneous to Somalia, southern Arabia, parts of Sindh(Pakistan) and Kutch area of Gujrat
- In India it is cultivated in Gujrat, Rajsthan and Tamilnadu.
- Cassia Angustfolia known as Alexandrian senna is indigenous to Sudan and Sinai.
- The sennas are typically shrubs or subshrubs, some becoming scandent when growing into other vegetation
- The leaves are paripinnately compound, the leaflets opposite.The inflorescence is a raceme, or some arrangement or racemes.
- Flowers are often asymmetric. The petals are 5 in number, similar to each other, yellow, or rarely white.
- The stamens may be as few as 4, but usually there are 10. When 10, they occur in 3 sets.
- The fruit is a legume, indehiscent or tardily dehiscent.
- Extract is Yellowish green powder with characteristic odor.
Senna leaves and pods are used for extraction.
- It is 100% soluble in water.
- It is stable at room temperature in closed container.
- It is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents and acids
- Senna leaf powder extract is yellowish green in color while senna pod extract is brown in color.
- It contains 60 – 70 % Sennosides
- Mesh size – 95% passes though 60 Mesh
- Combats Hair Loss : Senna plant may be able to improve the condition of the scalp by helping to treat dandruff, also being able to prevent hair loss.
- Provides Relief From Constipation: The Senna extract is believed to work by stimulating the muscles of the large intestine so that there is the quick expulsion of faecal matter.
- Eliminates Intestinal Worms.
- Treats Indigestion: This plant extract can help improve digestion by helping to promote gastric emptying of the stomach and soothe the intestinal tract.
- Promotes Weight Loss : Senna extract can help things along as it contains some phytocompounds that assist with weight loss naturally.
- Treats Skin Conditions: Senna extract may be a natural method of managing skin conditions like eczema and acne and may be able to improve the appearance of the skin.
- Treats Hemorrhoids: The Senna leaf may be able to effectively treat haemorrhoids or inflammation of the veins surrounding the anal passage, which usually results when there is excessive pressure.
- Cleanses The Colon : The laxative properties of the Senna leaf and pod can assist in cleansing the large intestine.
- Boosts Immunity: Senna Leaf and pod can detect foreign pathogens dangerous to health & by stimulating white blood cells it boosts defence system of the body.
- Helps Fluid Balance : Excess salts and water is removed from the body when the Senna leaf is used regularly, helping regulate fluid balance.
- Prevents Multiplication Of Bacteria
- Promotes respiratory help : The Senna may help improve the function of the lungs and may be an effective remedy for asthma and other respiratory diseases.
- Prevents bad breath
- Senna extract is major constituent in many antidandruff products for hair.
- Senna leaf as well as pod extract is used in many herbal formulations on constipation and as colon cleansers.
- Senna extract is used in formation of immune boosters
- Senna leaf and pod extracts is used in formulations to maintain good respiratory health.
- Applied in health product field, to be added into health products to relaxe the bowels
- Applied in pharmaceutical field, for the treatment of acute pancreatitis, bacillary dysentery and cholecystitis.