Scientific name of it is Curcuma Longa.
Turmeric belongs to genus Curcuma & is a member of ginger family.
It has technical synonyms as 1,7-bis(4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)-1E,6E-heptadiene-3,5-dione, Indian Saffron,Turmeric yellow.
- It is native to Southeast Asia.
- Turmeric plants are widely grown in tropical areas of India.
- Turmeric needs specific temperature and growing conditions, so it is not cultivated in many countries.
- It is orange yellow crystalline powder.
- Extract is available in both liquid and powder form.
- It has a bitter flavor and possesses a mildly aromatic scent.
It is extracted from the root of Turmeric Plant.
- It is slightly soluble in alcohol, soluble in acetone and in glacial acetic acid and insoluble in water.
- It is stable to heat but is sensitive to light and alkaline conditions.
- Acceptable PH range for curcumin extract is 2.0 – 14.0.
Curcumin extract powder 95% to 99% Curcuminoids by HPLC.
- Turmeric contains Bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric,which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- It boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases.
- Curcumin leads to various improvements that should lower your risk of heart disease.
- It can help prevent (and perhaps even treat) Cancer.
- Turmeric can act as a painkiller. It said to provide effective relief from arthritis and other body pains.
- Studies show that curcumin has incredible benefits against depression.
- It may help delay aging and fight age-related chronic diseases.
- It is used in manufacturing of various medicines on cancer,arthritis,alzheimer’s disease & chronic diseases.
- It is used to manufacture various food supplements.
- It is used to manufacture products like anti acne gel,face masks.
- It is used to manufacture products for brain boosting.