Botanical Name :
Scientific name of it is Curcuma Longa.
Plant Anatomy :
Turmeric belongs to genus Curcuma & is a member of ginger family.
Synonyms And Trade Names :
Native & Cultivation Region :
- It is native to Southeast Asia.
- Turmeric plants are widely grown in tropical areas of India. It is also grown in China and Indonesia.
- Turmeric needs specific temperature and growing conditions, so it is not cultivated in many countries.
Physical Properties :
- The color of turmeric fingers can vary widely from deep yellow-orange to bright yellow. It is available in lemon yellow, greenish yellow, blackish yellow, orange yellow which is dependent upon curcumin percentage & other constituents in it.
- It has earthy aroma and a pungent, slightly bitter flavor.
Part Used :
Turmeric fingers are produced from the root (Rhizomes) of Turmeric Plant.
Main Constituents :
- Turmeric fingers contain an essential oil max. 5%, this contains a variety of sesquiterpenes specific for the spices.
- In turmeric most important for the aroma are :
- Turmerone : Max. 30%
- Ar-Turmerone: 25%
- Zingiberene: 25%
- Conjugated Diarylheptanoids are responsible for the orange colour and probably for the spicy taste (3 – 4%).
- The active ingredient in Turmeric Fingers is called as Curcumin.
- It is available in 2% to 5% curcumin content.
- It is available in half, single & double polished form.
- It has 10 to 12% Moisture.
- It is available in small, medium & large sizes.
- Various varieties of Indian turmeric fingers are offered by us like Salem turmeric finger, Nizam turmeric finger, Rajapuri kadapa (Madras) turmeric finger & Erode turmeric finger.
- Turmeric Fingers contains Bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric finger, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Curcumin boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases.
- Curcumin leads to various improvements that should lower your risk of heart disease.
- Turmeric Curcumin can help prevent (and perhaps even treat) Cancer.
- Turmeric can act as a painkiller. It said to provide effective relief from arthritis and other body pains.
- Studies show that curcumin has incredible benefits against depression.
- Curcumin may help delay aging and fight age-related chronic diseases.
- The Turmeric Fingers when grounded in to fine powder serves as key ingredients in most of the foods and provide it with flavor and color.
- Turmeric Powder formed from turmeric fingers is widely used as main ingredient in the spices.
- It is used to form various food additives.
- Turmeric powder is used in color industries , aroma industries, cosmetic industries as well as medicine industries.
- The turmeric fingers is the purest form of turmeric and is used in medicines, food and dyeing processes.
- It is essential ingredients in various herbal preperations.