Botanical Name :
Scientific name of it is Curcuma Longa.
Plant Anatomy :
Turmeric belongs to genus Curcuma & is a member of ginger family.
Synonyms And Trade Names :
Turmeric is also known as Indian Saffron,Curcuma Longa,Curcuma domestica. Haldi is a widely used trade name for turmeric.
Native & Cultivation Region :
- It is native to Southeast Asia.
- Turmeric plants are widely grown in tropical areas of India.
- Turmeric needs specific temperature and growing conditions, so it is not cultivated in many countries.
Physical Properties :
- The color of turmeric powder can vary widely from deep yellow-orange to bright yellow which is dependent upon curcumin percentage in it.
- Turmeric Powder has a bitter flavor and possesses a mildly warm pleasant aromatic scent.
- It is produced from the root (Rhizomes) of Turmeric Plant.
Chemical Properties :
- It is slightly soluble in alcohol, soluble in acetone and in glacial acetic acid and insoluble in water.
- Turmeric Powder is stable in normal conditions.
- It is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Keep it away from hot works and sources of ignition.
- Turmeric Powder produces hazardous products after decomposition.
- CO, CO2, smoke and unidentified organic compounds may be formed during combustion.
- The active ingredient in Turmeric Powder is called as Curcumin.
- Curcumin percentage in powder decides how much effective & valuable it is.
- It is available in 2% to 8% curcumin content.
- Turmeric Powder contains Bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric,which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
- Curcumin boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases.
- Curcumin leads to various improvements that should lower your risk of heart disease.
- Turmeric Curcumin can help prevent (and perhaps even treat) Cancer.
- Turmeric can act as a painkiller. It said to provide effective relief from arthritis and other body pains.
- Studies show that curcumin has incredible benefits against depression.
- Curcumin may help delay aging and fight age-related chronic diseases.
- It is widely used as main ingredient in the spices.
- It is used to form various food additives.
- Turmeric powder is used in color industries , aroma industries, cosmetic industries as well as medicine industries.
- It is essential ingredients in various herbal preperations.